Executive Director of World Food Programme tests positive

PHOTO CREDIT: GD HEADLINES

ROME – Former US Republican Governor of South Carolina, David Beasley, who is the current head of the U.N.’s World Food Programme (WFP), has confirmed that he has tested positive for the coronavirus. “So far, my symptoms have been relatively light, and I am in good spirits. I am lucky to be close to my family and I have access to excellent medical support,” read a statement from WFP Executive Director.

  Mr. Beasley began to feel unwell on the weekend after travelling to the United States, from which he took the decision to self-isolate. He has said that he has no intention of stopping work, and will and work from home, virtually, on a regular basis.

  Mr. Beasley said he got checked two weeks ago and was negative at the time, but he was tested again on Monday, and received the positive test result on Thursday afternoon, report the postandcourier.

  The WFP is now working quickly to identify all those the Executive Director came into contact with.

  “Life must go on and the World Food Programme must continue to do the work that makes all of us so proud as we bring food assistance to the many millions across the world who depend on us for help,” read the statement.

jmj