Judges order seizure of League assets
GENOA - An Italian court has approved a request by prosecutors to seize 49 million euros in assets from right wing populist party the League, judicial sources said on Thursday.
Judges at the Genoa Tribunal confirmed the ruling, initially handed down when former League head Umberto Bossi along with his son Renzo and former treasurer Francesco Belsito, were convicted of electoral reimbursement fraud from 2008 to 2010.
Current party leader Matteo Salvini has disassociated himself from the transgression, “Events of the past – eight or ten years ago – do not interest me”, he said.
“The lawyers will make their choice. If they want to take everything away, they can do it. Italians support us.”
Democrat Senate leader Andrea Marcucci attacked the party on Twitter, “Now he has no more excuses. The League will return 49 million to the State.”
“The Court of Review has said the League must give back the 49 million illegally stolen from Italians,” tweeted Senator Dario Parrini. “And they must do it NOW… In Italy the law also applies to Salvini.”
Three million euros have so far been seized from the embattled party and according to League lawyers there is currently little more than five million in the party coffers.