Meridiana becomes Air Italy in overhaul

ROME - Meridiana has announced its new modern business plan, which aims to place it as “a leader in the global industry,” promising “high quality and an affordable schedule of services.” The company’s name will also officially change to Air Italy.

 Particular attention will be paid to providing an impressive passenger experience and the expansion of flight options, including the introduction of new destinations, and expanding its domestic and intercontinental services.

 The new destinations introduced will include long-haul flights to New York, Miami and Bangkok and short-haul, domestic options to Rome, Naples, Palermo, Catania and Lamezia Terme. Further long-haul destinations are due to be announced by the end of 2018

 Air Italy expects to have 20 Boeing 737 Max aircrafts in circulation from April 2018 and an estimated total of 50 aircraft by 2022.

 With the increased number of aircraft and new destinations, Air Italy estimates it will offer 50 regular routes by 2022 and aims to transport roughly 10 million passengers per year.

 Air Italy also intends to work closely with Rome Fiumincino and Olbia’s Costa Smeralda, with the hope that this will improve the connections within Italy, however with the majority of these passengers flying in and out of the Milan Malpensa airport, which will continue to serve as the airline’s primary base.

 The world leading airline Qatar Airways, currently holds 49 percent of AQA Holding, with the principal shareholder remaining Alisardia, holding 51 percent. Qatar Airways has agreed to work with Air Italy in a partnership intended to “to build a sustainable airline alternative” as part of the effort to facilitate travel and tourism, to and from Italy.