INSIDER NEWSDESK

ROME – The writing on the façade of the CasaPound office has been removed from the historic seat of the neo-fascist political party and now Rome mayor Virginia Raggi has called for the group to evacuate the building.

 The Capitol had given the far-right movement 10 days to remove the illicit inscription from the building, which it has occupied since 2003.

 Above the area where the inscription once was, the occupants of the building have placed a banner that reads: “This is the problem in Rome.”

7 Aug 2019
JAN FILIPOWICZ

 ROME — UN investigators have opened three separate cases against FAO human resources chief Fernando Servan including alleged charges of sexual harassment, corruption in hiring and abuse of power, FAO union sources said Wednesday. 

 Other cronies of former DG José graziano da Silva are shaking in their brothelcreepers for fear that they may be next following the suspension from duty without pay of the Peruvian lothario who was dubbed a ‘sex predator’ by the NGO Hear their Cries fighting sex abuse in the U.N., the sources added.

7 Aug 2019
INSIDER NEWSDESK

ROME – Tourists face fines of up to 400 euros for sitting or lying down on the Eternal City’s Spanish Steps, made famous abroad by Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in the 1953 film, Roman Holiday.

 Not only is eating and drinking in the vicinity of the steps prohibited, but now offenders sitting or lying on them will be fined 250 euros, which can rise to 400 euros if the staircase, also know as the Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti, is damaged or dirtied. 

7 Aug 2019
INSIDER NEWSDESK

CASARGO, Lecco – 140 people have been displaced in the Lecco area after mud and landslides swept away cars following a wave of bad weather that hit northern Italy on Tuesday night.

 Hardest hit was Casargo, where floods caused a landslide, sending mud and debris into the town’s centre.

 Buildings pounded by the debris reportedly don’t have stability problems and people who have had to leave their homes will be given the opportunity to enter the ‘red zone.’

 Meanwhile, the mayor of Valsassina, Leonardo Pasquini has called for a state of emergency.

7 Aug 2019
INSIDER NEWSDESK

 BERGEGGI, Savona – A 17 year-old boy has confessed to throwing from the cliff-top above a beach, a bin that hit a 12-year-old French boy in the face, landing the victim in Genoa hospital’s intensive care unit, police sources said on Tuesday.

 The incident, which happened on Saturday evening at Bergeggi beach in Liguria's Savona province could have been worse, police said. Up until an hour before the bin was launched, the victim’s sister had been sleeping at the bin’s “point of impact.” 

6 Aug 2019
INSIDER NEWSDESK

ROME – Passengers will have to use alternative transport means throughout August during closures for maintenance works on Metro line A.

 With the super busy underground stretch from Termini to Anagnina currently closed, the replacement bus service has already caused hiccups. Bewildered Romans and tourists, complaining about the lack of visibility of signs for substitute buses at the Roma Termini bus terminus, were forced to request information from ATAC personnel who directed them to randomly placed red A4 sheets.

6 Aug 2019
JAN FILIPOWICZ

 ROME -- Food and Agriculture Organisation Director General Qu Dong Yu ordered the suspension from duty Tuesday of the Peruvian Human Resources director Fernando Servan, who was dubbed a 'sex  predator' by an NGO fighting sexual abuse at the UN, FAO sources said.

6 Aug 2019
INSIDER NEWSDESK

 ROME – Kidnapped Italian aid worker Silvia Romano had filed a complaint against an Anglican pastor accusing him of molesting some girls before she went missing, Il Fatto Quotidiano reported on Tuesday.

 In a voice message to a friend, the now 24 year-old Milanese volunteer said she had reported the incident to police and had been reassured the pastor would be arrested the following day.

 But no trace of her complaint was found in the Malindi police records. 

6 Aug 2019
INSIDER NEWSDESK

ROME – Finnegan Lee Elder believed he was “the target of an attack,” claiming he was “afraid of being strangled” and that he didn’t know the man he allegedly killed was a Carabiniere paramilitary policeman. This is the version of the incident the 19-year-old American, who has confessed to the murder of deputy brigadier Mario Cerciello Rega, conveyed to his lawyers, according to judicial sources on Monday.

  Reading a statement on behalf of the Elder family in front their home in San Francisco, attorney Craig Peters expressed the family’s condolences to the slain officer’s family.

5 Aug 2019

Pages